Sunday, January 3, 2010

Living Intentionally

I started an "Intentional Living for 2010" notebook on January first. Using a spiral bound notebook, which I self titled, I started making lists of things that I want to accomplish this year. Goal setting you might call it. I listen to Dr. Randy Carlson's radio program whenever I can. Everyday I hear him ask callers, "What one thing can you do TODAY to make a difference ? " (in some area of their life). I thought I'd look into this Intentional Notebook if I couldn't think of one thing to do intentionally for a particular day.

As I was making lists, I decided to challenge myself with a special decluttering challenge for each month. For January, my challege is to get five things out the door everyday. "Out the door" means into the trash or bagged and ready to donate or give away.

January first I threw away five things:
  1. an old cookie tin that my mom used to use for Christmas cookies (I have others to use) and this one is scratched up and showing wear on the outside and has rust on the inside
  2. the handle to a pot that had broken off long ago (maybe even decades ago !!)
  3. a plastic medicine cup (the kind that come on the top of Nyquil or some cough syrup) that was in the wrong drawer in the kitchen ... I have more of these
  4. the outter box that a toy truck came in (a Christmas gift opened by my grandson) that I was saving, just in case ... by saving, I mean it was still on the floor in the living room, where the Christmas tree once stood
  5. a box (with a pretty gold patterned lid, no less!) that a Christmas gift had come in ... surely I could use it to wrap another gift, someday ... or next Christmas ... if I could find it by then

January second I bagged up five things that had been on display in my dining room:

  1. a wooden heart painted blue with "Welcome" on the front
  2. a set of wooden house shaped blocks with different colored roofs and one letter painted on the front of each house, spelling out "welcome"
  3. a small wooden goose with mobile legs (so it could sit down)
  4. a scripture verse framed in a very small plastic frame
  5. a small wooden school desk (a replica of an old fashioned desk)

January third I threw away five (or more) items which I will not bore you with the details of.

No comments:

Post a Comment