Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Today I was haunted by a couple of items that I got rid of. One was a new, unopened package of cheesecloth that I found in my linen closet. I don't remember why I bought it in the first place or how long its been in my possession. I don't use cheesecloth. I suppose I bought it for a science experiment or something ... but BECAUSE it was still in the packaging, I was bothered with the thought that in the event SOMEWHERE DOWN THE ROAD that I may need cheesecloth, I already had a new package. And IF I SHOULD ONE DAY NEED cheesecloth, I wouldn't have to go looking for it in order to buy it (imagining that its not something I could find easily).

The second item that haunted me was a plastic zipperd bag (that sheets or curtains had originally come in). I found it on the floor of my closet. My first thought was "I don't need this, its trash." As soon as I dropped it in the trash, I thought about all the reasons why I MIGHT need it SOMEDAY. I walked over to the trash can and pulled it out. Then I said to myself, you didn't even know you had this. You won't use it. If, for SOME reason you need one, you can buy one.

The last item that spoke to me (ha ha) was the large stuffed bull dog that my husband won at the state fair this year. This was the first year in our whole life together that we went to the state fair. He wanted to shoot baskets, convinced that he would win a prize. I was very happy for him and praised him all night long for his mad skills : ) Thus the dog spoke to me as I put him into my van for his last ride (to Goodwill).

All of these (and more) were donated to Goodwill today. I can't hear them talking to me any longer. Hmm .... out of sight, out of mind!

Except ... I feel as if I must clarify one thing, the stuffed dog was not high quality or of the kind that you would give to a child. It was very stiff and not kid-safe. I wouldn't even consider giving it to one of my grandchildren for those reasons. Not to mention that you can't give ONE of them a large dog and not the others ..... at least this Grandmother can't do that : )

No comments:

Post a Comment