Tuesday, October 6, 2009

the show HOARDERS

I watched two episodes of "Hoarders" from A&E on my computer last night. These are the first ones I have seen. My immediate response was "ewwww!" I think that these circumstances are what most people think of when they hear the word hoarder. My home is not in this condition. I don't say that with any pride or haughtiness, just want to clarify that hoarders come in all degrees.

I can relate to some of the emotions expressed:
  • concern that the work crew CHECK to make sure that boxes are truly empty
  • concern that workers are CAREFUL when handling items (that may be fragile)
  • concern that an item is USEFUL or VALUABLE , yet needs to be removed (because you are NOT using it)
  • concern that others understand HOW DIFFICULT this process is for you
  • gratitude for the help (though at times there may be a breakdown)

Seeing it through the eyes of the family members who live with a hoarder, I felt great sorrow for them. They DO deserve to live in a home free from the clutter. They DO have a right to give an ultimatum. In doing so, they are not selfish, they ARE genuinely concerned about the health and well being of the hoarder and want them to get the help they need.

No comments:

Post a Comment