Friday, January 7, 2011

Self Challenge

Stuffing and stashing is over for the holiday season ... now to reclaim some living space. Today I am challenging myself to gather 27 items that need to go (out of my house). Whether it's in the trash, returning an item to its owner, or donating....they've got to go.

I find this technique works better than trying to purge one area all at once. I started in my closet and found 12 items there. I have already lost 30 pounds. No more big loose clothes for me! And the clothing that I come across and don't choose to wear, those are outta here too! Do I really believe that one day I WILL want to wear the blouse that is too itchy or the one that's already too big in the shoulders? the dress that doesn't hang quite right that I constantly fidget with? or the top with the mysterious stains that came out of the dryer with them (looking like someone set a wet glass on my chest -- a perfect ring). It doesn't make my feel good to have to "pretend" like it just happened today (when someone innocently tells me I spilled something on myself).

Sometimes I have to chuckle ...I found a red taper candle that was broken and taped together with masking tape. Seriously?! Did I continue to use it in that condition? It hadn't even been lit ... that's probably why I kept it this long. I opened a drawer and there it was. Out of sight, out of mind. It can be fun to open a concealed location ... or it can be overwhelming. I am experiencing both emotions.

No comments:

Post a Comment